Set Designer Assistant
- Posted on:
- Open until:
- Type of employment
The role will report to the Lead Set Designer where the individual will act as the assistant to the manager in all set designs for clients at RANKIN.
The role will suit someone who wants to start a career in production and props/set design.
You should be a FMA member in order to see a full vacancy and apply for the job.
We expect the individual to carry out the following alongside the Lead Set Designer:
- Research historical, contemporary or futuristic details to get the right look for the production
- Create effective designs within the available budget
- Sketch design ideas to produce a storyboard
- Study scripts and discuss ideas with the Lead Set Designer:
- Communicate ideas to costume, make-up, props and lighting designers
- Checking sets and locations during filming to make sure requirements are met and to deal with any designer / director queries.
- Attending progress meetings, scenery erection get in / get out and standby filming /shooting to advise on visual presentation
- The ability of supporting the production designer when wrapping jobs + general paperwork with Finance/HR
Skills and Expertise:
- Previous experience on set is essential
- Experience in set construction/erection/dismantling of sets
- Proficiency in the use of workshop tools is an essential
- Drivers Licence is necessary for moving between warehouses and storage facilities for props.
- A flair for generating original creative ideas and for what we do
- Ability to deliver well under pressure and on tight turnarounds
- Ability in working across multiple projects – commercial/film/stills/editorials
- Ability to problem solve; be resourceful/adaptable
- Computer Literate
- Can do positive attitude – ready to muck in
- The ability to communicate ideas through technical drawing and sketching would be beneficial
- A good working knowledge of the visual arts and production processes / materials etc
- The ability to be resourceful and adaptable and be able to solve practical and conceptual problems
- The capability to work independently
- The confidence and ability to appoint and cater art department daily runs and needs.
- The ability to work with others, at all levels, as part of a team
- Computer / design software literate
Note: We are looking to pay £23,000 for this so it’s a junior level role.
All submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
BECOME A MEMBER OF OUR TEAM!